Linda Barnes-Caldwell could not be reached for comment regarding this article. A source informed the Gazette that Councilwoman Barnes-Caldwell and Teddia Caldwell may have been separated before his arrest.
- Teddia Caldwell a/k/a Teddy, 42, of Gary, Indiana
- o Count 1-Conspiracy to Distribute Cocaine
- o Count 2, 3, 4, 5, 16, 17- Distribution of Crack Cocaine
- o Count 6, 9-Distribution of Crack Cocaine and Heroin
- o Count 10-Distribution of Heroin
- o Count 11-Felon in Possession of A Firearm
- o Count 12, 13-Possesion of A Firearm in Furtherance of A Drug Trafficking Crime
- o Count 18-Murder of Akeem Oliver While Engaging in A Narcotics Conspiracy
- o Count 19-Murder of Kevin Hood While Engaging in A Narcotics Conspiracy
All criminal defendants are presumed innocent unless proven guilty in a court of law. A criminal charge is not evidence of guilt.
February 23, 2018-According to a source close to the investigation, Teddia Caldwell, age 42, who was charged today in the murders of Kevin Hood and Akeem Oliver as well as dealing drugs, is the husband of Gary Common Council Member Linda Barnes Caldwell. Teddia Caldwell, like so many politically connected in Lake County, seems to have had serious felony charges disappear in the past. In 2006 Caldwell was charged with a Class A Felony, the highest charge other than murder in the State of Indiana. In that case Gary Police alleged that Teddia “Teddy” Caldwell was dealing cocaine. The case was scheduled for a jury trial in 2010 but was dismissed by Lake County Prosecutor Bernard Carter according to Court records. Neither Gary Police nor Lake County Sheriff’s Police were involved in today’s raid of seven locations.
In a 2008 case, there is a court notation that as follows:
This address is the same as that used by Gary Common Council Member Linda Barnes-Caldwell in her 2015 annual campaign finance statement:
Other charges were also dismissed, possibly due to a plea agreement. Caldwell was convicted of a single count of Robbery in
|Crim Div CF – G04 (45G04-0101-CF-00018)
State of Indiana vs TEDDIA CALDWELL
|Action Code||Action Description||Disposition||Disposition Date||Offense||Ticket Number||Speed||Zone|
|35-42-5-1(FB)||Robbery||Charge Dismissed State||2001-11-29||Class B Felony|