Emergency Manager Peggy Hinckley has recommended the closing of Wirt/Emerson and now the State agency responsible for overseeing GCSC wants to hear from residents.
When: Wednesday February 21, 2018 at 6:00 p.m.
Where: Gary Area Career Center
February 20, 2018-On Friday, February 16, 2018, the emergency manager for the Gary Community School Corporation (“School Corporation”) presented the following recommendations to the Distressed Unit Appeal Board (“DUAB”):
· Close the Wirt-Emerson Visual and Performing Arts High Ability Academy for the 2018-2019 school year;
· Close the School Corporation’s administration center, currently located at 1988 Polk Street; and
· Offer the following grade configurations for the 2018-2019 school year – K-5, 6-8, and 9-12 – with Bailly Preparatory Academy serving as the middle school.
DUAB invites interested individuals to provide feedback on these recommendations. A public comment opportunity will be available during the February 21, 2018, School Board meeting to be held at 6 p.m. Central at the Gary Area Career Center. Written comments may also be provided to the DUAB through the following options:
· Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; or
· Mail: Distressed Unit Appeal Board
One North Capitol Avenue, Suite 900
Indianapolis, Indiana 46204
Please provide comments by February 28, 2018. DUAB will consider the recommendations at a meeting to be scheduled in March. More information will be provided on that meeting as it is scheduled.Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2018 The Northwest Indiana Gazette