Coroner Rules on Death of Man Involved in Police Shootout

On Friday, Indiana State Police issued a statement that 33 year old Ned Brooks of Gary fled after police attempted to execute a felony traffic stop. Brooks was later found in a yard in the 4200 block of W. 22nd Place with a fatal gunshot wound according to Police.

Photo provided.

September 30, 2017-Lake County Coroner Merrilee Frey has ruled that the death of 33 year old Ned Brooks of Gary was a suicide. On Friday, Indiana State Police Sgt. Ann Wojas stated that police were involved in a federal multi-jurisdicational controlled narcotics purchase when they attempted to make a felony traffic stop. The suspect fled the scene, striking a civilian and two police officers. The police officers were taken to a Chicago area hospital with non-life threatening injuries while the civilian was “airlifted to a Illinois hospital with critical injuries.”

Police say that, as the suspect later identified as 33 year old Ned Brooks of Gary, fled he fired at police. Police returned fire and struck Brooks according to the report. Brooks later abandoned his vehicle and fled on foot. Police searched the area and found Brooks’ in the rear yard of a home on 22nd Place. “Preliminary investigation indicates officers returned fire and struck the suspect as he fled the scene of the felony traffic stop. Preliminary investigation also indicates that the suspect suffered what appears to be a fatal self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head” the report stated at the time of the incident.

The coroner report conducted earlier today confirms that Brooks died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound. Indiana State Police issued a statement detailing the injuries recieved by Brooks:

“An autopsy was performed today, Saturday, September 30, 2017, at the
Lake County Coroners office on Ned Brooks, 33 of Gary, IN. The results of the
autopsy revealed Brooks had superficial bullet wound to his right thigh and abdomen.
A through and through bullet wound to his left thigh. Lastly a self-inflicted wound
to his right temple. His manner of death has been ruled a suicide. No law
enforcement wounds were deemed life threatening.”

1 Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.