August 14, 2017-An August 9 hearing in the case of over the alleged theft of nearly $1M in computer products was delayed last week after Defense Attorney Scott King said he may need to withdraw as attorney for Monique Bowling. In a written Motion filed with the United States District Court for the Northern District of Indiana, King indicates that he represents an individual who is on the government’s witness list. According to the Motion, the unnamed witness “was the subject of the investigation that yielded the indictment herein” over one year ago. King says he still represents that witness “solely in an effort to recover monies due her from the City of Gary.” King concludes by stating he may have to withdraw from the case.
The charges arose after the Indiana State Board of Accounts noted discrepancies in an annual audit report. A vendor claimed the City owed $983,000 for computer equipment. The Indiana Attorney General filed a civil suit against Monique S. Bowling-Boyd in January, 2016 seeking $1.4M in damages.
The case was originally scheduled to go to trial in December, 2016. The Defense obtained a continuance of that trial date as well two more continuances in March and June. The Court set the matter for a status conference on August 21, 2017 at 9:30 a.m.
See the full Motion here-BowlingMTC_conflict
Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2017 The Northwest Indiana Gazette