Inspector General announces investigation into handling of FBI investigation into Clinton e-mails
January 12. 2017-The Inspector General for the United States Department of Justice today announced that an investigation has been launched into the handling of the Hillary Clinton e-mail investigation. According to the written statement above, the investigation comes after requests by “various ranking members of Congressional oversight committees, various organizations, and members of the public, the Office of the Inspector General (OIG) will initiate a review of allegations regarding certain actions by the Department of Justice (Department) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) in advance of the 2016 election.” The statement makes clear that the OIG will not substitute the OIG’s judgment for that of FBI officials. The scope of the investigation will include:
• Allegations that Department or FBI policies or procedures were not followed in connection
with, or in actions leading up to or related to, the FBI Director’s public announcement on
July 5, 2016, and the Director’s letters to Congress on October 28 and November 6, 2016,
and that certain underlying investigative decisions were based on improper considerations;
• Allegations that the FBI Deputy Director should have been recused from participating in
certain investigative matters;
• Allegations that the Department’s Assistant Attorney General for Legislative Affairs improperly disclosed non-public information to the Clinton campaign and/or should have been recused from participating in certain matters;
• Allegations that Department and FBI employees improperly disclosed non-public information; and
• Allegations that decisions regarding the timing of the FBI’s release of certain Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) documents on October 30 and November 1, 2016, and the use of a Twitter account to publicize same, were influenced by improper considerations.
No information was provided regarding how long the investigation would take.
Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2017 The Northwest Indiana Gazette